Not speaking and speaking are both human ways of being in the world, and there are kinds and grades of each.
- there is the dumb silence of slumber or apathy;
- the sober silence that goes with a solemn animal face;
- the fertile silence of awareness, pasturing the soul, whence emerge new thoughts;
- the alive silence of alert perception, ready to say, “This… this…”;
- the musical silence that accompanies absorbed activity;
- the silence of listening to another speak, catching the drift and helping him be clear;
- the noisy silence of resentment and self-recrimination, loud and subvocal speech but sullen to say it;
- baffled silence;
- the silence of peaceful accord with other persons or communion with the cosmos.