Caring about the air, water, and land that give us life.
People on the Earth have not heeded environmental warnings and have lived without protecting their environment for decades. Now, due to a huge hole in the ozone layer, the Earth’s temperature has slowly risen. As a result of this temperature rise, the Earth’s core temperature has risen creating new volcanoes which are erupting everywhere. There is almost complete devastation of the Earth’s surface. However, on one small plot on Earth, a spaceship is equipped for automatic flight to a planet that is similar to Earth.
The only known survivors of the volcanic eruptions are 13 people clamoring to get aboard the spaceship. The problem is that there is only space, oxygen, food and water aboard the spaceship to accommodate 6 people.
The people waiting to get aboard the spaceship are:
- a 59-year old Member of Parliament
- an 18-year old, unmarried pregnant woman who is a high-school dropout
- an African-American third-year veterinary student
- a 30-year old Minister
- a homemaker of 25 years
- a Mayor of a small town in Mexico
- Building Maintenance Engineer
- a 12-year old Australian Aborigine
- a 55-year old grocery store owner
- a 23-year old female school teacher
- a 45-year old male botanist who is confined to a wheelchair
- a 55-year old retired plumber
- President of a Corporation or Union
This material is one of a group exercise in a course I participated. The lives of these 13 people are in our hands. It was a very interesting group dynamic on how we arrived to the chosen ones and the reason behind our choices.
Your turn: who will be the lucky six people you will choose to survive and develop the Brave New World? Feel free to add in a brief explanation of your choice.
Photo Credit: Robert Macky